Thursday, October 3, 2013

Nebbiolo Bargain




Antonio Vallana Campi Raudii

The Vallana family name has been associated with wine making in the Alto Piemonte region, an area about 100 miles north of Barolo at the base of the Alps, for centuries and they are still producing very highly-respected Nebbiolo based wines today.  This is their entry level wine and it's good.  It's really good.  According to the fact sheet on the importer's (Michael Skurnik) website this wine goes through the same vinification process of all their other Nebbiolo based wines just without the oak-aging.  Fine by me.  This wine is not only delicious and varietally correct but it also delivers some serious, leathery old-world charm.  Perhaps a bit lighter in style than it's "big B" neighbors, and it's drinking really well young.  

At $15 this is about as good a wine bargain as I've found anywhere.  I can now cancel my appointment to have my spleen removed and sold on the black market to pay for that bottle of Barolo I had my eye on.  Knowing that great nebbiolo is out there at this price-point makes me feel like this drummer:





...or this one:











No comments:

Post a Comment